Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Fear and loathing in Las Diocese

I read Keith Mascord's 2006 open letter to the Sydney Anglican Diocese tonight. It was interesting. One of the things he was really worried about was the theological questionarre that third year ordination candidates have to fill out and be interviewed on. He was worried about a culture of fear being created by MT&D.

Now, Keiths concerns aren't entirely unjustified given some of the rants I've sat through at conferences, but the questionaire was ok.
As I ticked (or didn't tick) the boxes last year, there was a little trepidation on what I would be grilled on.
But the interview was surprisingly pleasant, and late last year I picked up my letter from the Archbishop. It wasn't a nice, frameable certificate with a big red 'not a heretic' stamp on it, but it did invite me to continue my ordination candidacy.
Fear is a funny thing, if you just don't care it has very little power.
So if you have this coming up next year, don't worry about it. The diocese is broader than most people assume, and if God wants you serving somewhere else, well, theres worse ways he could get you there.

That said, I would love ALL the college lecturers to give a session on their thoughts on women in ministry. This whole 'we cant talk about it because it might be hurtful to women' moratorium is rubbish. If your views are hurtful whenyou have plenty of time to prepare and think, how much more hurtful will they be in the parish. As I've said before, I'm not entirely convinced by either side of the non-debate, (although to some that makes me a closet liberal already), but I'd like to at least hear the theologically qualified, thoughtful teachers at my college be able to present what they think. My hope is that the students would be godly and mature enoughl to not demonise anyone

2 comments:

byron smith said...

Fear is a funny thing, if you just don't care it has very little power.
So if you have this coming up next year, don't worry about it. The diocese is broader than most people assume, and if God wants you serving somewhere else, well, theres worse ways he could get you there.


Pure gold.

Fear not.

Unknown said...

Strangely enough, I happened to stumble across and read this in the last day or too. I think you are right, although I wonder whether they have made a conscious effort to not be scary. Of course, much of my dealing has been with Rob Smith and he is just the opposite of a scary guy.

Re: the idea of college lecturers saying their bit, I wonder if some of them are more scared than we are. I'm not sure if it is the easiest place to have a minority opinion particularly on a sensitive issue?

That said, would love to hear it. I had a good chat about it with a few people last year when we were filling in the forms and that helped me develop something of an opinion, but I still remain open to hearing some good arguments on either side.