Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Succumbing to Tom Waits

I've never been a big drinker, but I feel like a drunk. I don't know what it is, but vagrancy has always seemed a few short steps away, and tales of collapse have always resonated with me. I guess in the cafe vagrants were a few short steps away, and plenty of friends have collapsed.
I like Brecht and Woyzeck, and so it comes as a pleasant surprise that I have only just discovered Tom Waits.
I knew he existed. I knew I would like it. I just never got round to it.
And perhaps my musical tastes had to change a little. To allow a banjo.
Tom is beautiful and grotesque. Beautifully grotesque. Vomit out your pores with warmth.
If you've never tried it, why not start with "Lost at the bottom of the world"

2 comments:

Luke Collings said...

Hallelujah Brother! Glad you have seen the light. If you require a banjo I have one going spare.

I must draw your attention to one of the greatest songs ever written:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12qBoy2rhVw

Keep the Faith!

Anonymous said...

Nice work brudda! I thoroughly recommend his latest live album 'Glitter & Doom'. It makes me feel happy.